A thermometer is a medical instrument used to measure temperature and, chances are, every single one of us has used it at least once in our lifetime. The original official version of the thermometer has a narrow shape and involves the use of either mercury or alcohol in a tube which gradually expands as it detects an increase in temperature; The markings on the side would represent the temperature being measured. In this modern-day and age, a wide array of different kinds of thermometers have emerged – for example, you can now find oral, forehead, infrared, ear, digital, armpit etc. thermometers. For most homes, it is a staple medical device used to detect whether a family member is suffering from a fever. At this point, there are even thermometers for food! In this article, however, we have covered the 10 best thermometers for at-home use, and have reviewed 5 out of these 10 top picks to save you from the effort of having to compare and figure out which one is the best!
The Most Recommended 5 Thermometers | Best Thermometer Reviews
1. Braun IRT6520CA ThermoScan 7 Thermometer, Ear
As we mentioned before, a thermometer has pretty much become a staple in most people’s homes. Due to the frequency with which it is used, it is always recommended to get a good quality thermometer even if it’s a little pricey, to avoid the unnecessary expense of repeat purchases. This Braun ThermoScan 7 Thermometer has made it to the top of our list for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it is extremely easy to use and has all the necessary features to make your life just a little bit easier; To use, all you need to do is turn it on, set your child’s age, pop it in their ear and wait for the results. The display is color-coded, meaning it will flash either green, yellow, or red based on the temperature reading. Moreover, it is a lesser-known fact that what defines a ‘fever,’ changes as you grow older. For this reason, Braun has included the technology to set age in their ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer and get the most accurate and helpful results!
- Canada’s Most Trusted Brand: Braun was voted the most trusted children’s thermometer brand by Canadian shoppers, based on the 2019 BrandSpark Canadian Shopper Study. Medical devises Active Licence #78249. thermometer pre-warms the tip to 34°C to achieve professional accuracy and provide extra comfort.
- Why Measure in the Ear? Because of its close proximity to the eardrum, which shares the blood supply of the brain’s temperature control center, the ear canal is the best place to measure fever. This site provides a more accurate representation of the body’s core temperature.
- Fever Guidance by Age: Simply press the Age Precision button to select the appropriate age setting, take a temperature, and the color-coded display will glow green, yellow, or red to help you understand the temperature reading.
- Pre-Warmed Tip: Exclusive pre-warmed tip technology is designed to reduce the cooling effect of the tip inside the ear canal, resulting in more accurate measurements over time. Always replace disposable lens filters (LF40CA) to maintain accuracy and hygiene.
- Accuracy Matters: ExacTemp technology, which is patented, confirms that the thermometer is stable enough to take an accurate measurement with a light and a beep.
- Display with night light: Perfect for use in a nighttime environment.
- 9X memory: allows for temperature tracking over time
- BPA free
2. SOVARCATE Medical Digital Thermometer, Oral/Rectal/Underarm
This SOVARCATE digital thermometer is an upgraded version of the original, official thermometer. It features a large digital screen to aid you in reading the recorded temperature and will sound its ‘fever alarm’ when the temperature recorded goes above 37.8 degrees Celsius/100 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a child and have tried taking their temperature before, you’ll know that it can sometimes be quite a bit of a hassle. To eliminate this issue, this SOVARCATE digital thermometer only needs ten seconds to present its accurate readings and beeps to let you know it’s done; It’ll be over before your child even notices! Its small size and hard case ensure portability so you can take it with you wherever you go in case of emergency. The waterproof tip can be easily cleaned or disinfected after use with an alcohol swab or mildly soapy water.
- THERE IS NO NEED TO WAIT: A digital thermometer designed for measuring the temperature of the oral cavity, rectum, or armpit, with a measurement time of 10 seconds and an accuracy of 1/10 degree, and a new upgraded algorithm in 2020.
- SOFT FLEXIBLE TIP: Made of silicone, it is safe and non-toxic. It is softer in the mouth and allows for more comfortable measurements. You can view your temperature changes in the last Recorded Temp function.
- FEVER REMINDER: After the temperature measurement is completed, an automatic beep prompts to complete the measurement. When the temperature exceeds 37.8 ℃ (100 ℉), a fever alarm will be automatically issued. The large, easy-to-read LCD screen makes it simple to read the value.
- EASY TO CLEAN: After each use, the waterproof tip is very simple to clean or disinfect. It can be used to measure the temperature of infants, children, adults, and the elderly. Hard case protection, hygienic, and portable.
- THE BEST OPTION: Convert measurement units with a single click to better suit your needs.Automatic shutdown to save power. If you buy now, we will give you a one-year full refund and free replacement service if there are any quality issues.
3. PUSEAYZ Infrared Digital Thermometer, Forehead
This PUSEAYZ digital thermometer uses infrared technology to achieve accurate temperature readings without making any direct contact with the skin; To use, simply turn it on, hold it directly in front of the forehead and wait one second for the results. It couldn’t be any easier! Due to the ‘no-touch nature of this PUSEAYZ digital thermometer, you do not need to clean or disinfect it after every use and can use it on multiple people without any worry of germ transmission. Moreover, it has three mode settings – forehead, wrist, and object made – giving you the freedom to choose where and what you’d like to take the temperature of. You can easily switch from ‘Celsius’ to ‘Fahrenheit’ depending on which temperature scale you prefer.
- Contactless measurement: it reads from the forehead without physical contact, is easy and efficient to use.
- LCD Display: 3 colors indicate body temperature. Green denotes normal, orange denotes caution, and red denotes fever.
- Sound warning: When the temperature exceeds 37.5°C (99.5°F), an Instant beeper will sound.
- Fahrenheit & Celsius Reading are Available.
- Fast & Accurate: Fast and Accurate: Within 1 second, a digital thermometer measures an accurate and reliable temperature. Automatic power-off (<30 secs) to conserve energy.
4.Braun NTF3000CAV1 No Touch Thermometer, Forehead
Next up on our list is another digital thermometer from Braun. Although it is relatively expensive when compared to the other options on our list, we stand by the belief that you get what you pay for. It includes the same features that most digital forehead thermometers have these days, except it has one additional, handy feature; A light will show you where exactly you are aiming, so you know precisely where you are taking the temperature. Moreover, this Brun No Touch Forehead Thermometer can read temperatures whilst making direct contact with the skin or whilst being as far as 2 inches away; A great feature that can help you take temperatures of sleeping children/people without disturbing them.
- NO TOUCH + FOREHEAD: Accurate readings instantly in 2 seconds The first-ever thermometer with the convenience of two clinically proven options to take a temperature – completely non-invasive no touch or traditional forehead touch
- Voted most trusted Children’s Thermometer brand by Canadian shoppers based on the 2021 BrandSpark Canadian Trust Study.
- COLOR CODED TEMPERATURE GUIDANCE: A large color-coded display will glow green, yellow, or red to help you understand the temperature reading instantly.
- GUIDANCE SYSTEM: On-screen positioning system confirms the correct distance for taking a temperature and provides gentle guidance. The light guides you for precise aiming. Get the same, precise reading whether you’re touching your child’s brow or measuring up to 5 cm/2″ away.
- SECURE AND HYGIENE:S No probe covers or lens filters are required.
5. Solidpin Infrared Digital Forehead Thermometer
This Solidpin Infrared Digital Forehead thermometer is a great thermometer. It has most of the same features as the other best thermometers listed here and can show you accurate readings efficiently – that is, in literally one second! The ‘memory recall’ features allow the 20 previous readings made to be stored for easy access when making a new temperature recording. Moreover, the high-temperature alarm can be easily distinguished from the regular beep, with short beeps alongside an LCD flicker when a temperature above 37.5C is recorded.
- Non-contact measuring: The digital thermometer reads from the forehead 1~3cm, avoids physical contact with the skin, makes the measuring process easy and efficient.
- Fahrenheit & Celsius Available: You can easily use a forehead thermometer and freely transit units by pressing the ℃ / ℉” button.
- Thermometers with HD LCD Display: 3 colors of the green, red, blue temperature display. There will be a Smart Fever Alert of the temperature thermometer If the temperature is more than 37.6℃(99.6℉).
- Professional Fast & Accurate: With the ultra-sensitive infrared sensor, read within 1S. Saves your time for waiting. Auto Shut-off (<10s) to conserve energy.
- Multifunctional Usage: Infrared Thermometer with 20 memories, it can be used in families, hotels, schools, etc. With Two Modes-Forehead & Object Mode, it can also measure room, object, and liquids as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the 4 basic kinds of thermometers?
The 4 basic kinds of thermometers are oral, rectal, ear, and armpit thermometers.
2. What are some general rules to follow before using a thermometer?
Some general rules to follow before using a thermometer include: wash your hands, wash the thermometer after use (with an alcohol swab or mildly soap water), and don’t use the same one for oral and rectal readings.
3. Which type of thermometer is the most accurate?
Digital thermometers are the most accurate thermometers currently available on the market.
4. What time of day is the best to check your temperature?
There is no specific time of day which is best to check your temperature; for example, if you have a noteworthy fever in the morning, you will have it throughout the day too.
5. How do I know if my digital thermometer is working?
To ensure your digital thermometer is working (properly), use this quick technique: dip your thermometer into ice-cold water and see if the reading comes at 32F. If it does, your digital thermometer is working properly.
6. How can I check if I have a fever without using a thermometer?
A few common methods of checking for a fever when you do have a thermometer nearby include: touching the forehead to feel for abnormal temperature, pinching the hand to see if the skin goes back in quickly or not (if it does, it means you are well hydrated and thus unlikely to have a fever) and checking urine color.